To ensure a watertight installation, you must seal all cable holes drilled in the body of the vehicle.
What you should know
- The following steps are not required if you are using cable glands to seal the cable holes.
- If you run more than one cable through a cable hole, seal the hole using a rubber grommet and butyl tape, not a cable gland.
- Install a rubber grommet in the cable hole to prevent damage to wires that pass through the vehicle body.
- Clean the area around the cable hole using isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol.
- When the area is dry, use about a 8 cm (3 in.) section of butyl tape to wrap the cable and the area around the base of the cable gland.
- Press the butyl tape into place to ensure a tight seal.