Patrol vehicles can include additional context cameras to provide a more detailed view of the environment when plate reads are captured. You can fine-tune the timing of the additional context images to ensure that the target vehicle is in frame when the cameras are triggered.
Before you begin
What you should know
Patroller™ stitches images from up to four
additional cameras into a single context image.
- The addition of context cameras to a patrol vehicle might be required for systems where the decision to enforce parking violations is made by manually reviewing plate reads at a central office instead of the decision being made live by the patrol vehicle operator at the time of the plate read. For information on installing additional context cameras on a patrol vehicle, refer to the deployment guide for the SharpZ3 or SharpX system.
- Systems that require additional context images generally use 4mm AutoVu™ auxiliary PoE cameras, but certain cameras from Axis Communications are also compatible. For more information, contact your AutoVu™ representative.
- Using this feature increases the size of each plate read by approximately 800 KB.
- The additional context image is available in Security
Desk as the Tire/Overview
image associated with the plate read.NOTE: Context images taken while the patrol vehicle is traveling faster than 40 km/h (25 mph) might be slightly distorted. For example, vehicle tires might appear slightly oval in shape.
- You can include the additional context image in Security Desk hit reports and read reports by adding the Wheel Image report column.
- Open Genetec Patroller™ Config Tool .
- Go to the Cameras page.
- Turn on Use additional context images.
Turn on Use context camera for each context camera installed
on the vehicle.
NOTE: It does not matter which camera you identify as Camera A: the camera trigger sequence is defined later.
The Camera address is automatically assigned according the
PoE expansion module port number.
NOTE: These IP addresses are assigned if the PoE expansion module is installed in expansion slot 2.
PoE expansion module port Default IP address 1 192.168.40.1 2 192.168.40.2 3 192.168.40.3 4 192.168.40.4
Configure the connection for each additional context camera.
Enter the User and
AutoVu™ auxiliary PoE cameras use the User: admin and the Password: 1234
If you are using Axis cameras, in the Capture
NOTE: You can modify the string to include additional parameters from the Axis API.
- Modify the string to display the correct Resolution of the video stream.
- If the camera is installed upside down, enter a Rotation of 180.
- Repeat these steps for each context camera.
- Enter the User and Password.
- Drive the patrol vehicle and collect some plate reads. Click Wheel image () to display the image from the additional context cameras.
Configure the Capture sequence for the context
If the target vehicle does not appear in the center of the context images, you can fine-tune the timing of the sequence. Timing is controlled by triggering each auxiliary camera a certain distance (in meters) before or after the plate read location.NOTE:
The following is a typical capture sequence for a patrol vehicle with four Sharp camera units and four additional context cameras:
- Using this feature adds a short delay to each plate read while the system waits for incoming context images.
- The capture sequence assumes that the patrol vehicle travels at a constant speed. If the vehicle speed changes during the capture sequence, the target vehicle might not appear in the center of the additional context images.
- The system buffers five seconds of video feed from the additional context cameras. The maximum configurable trigger distance before or after a license plate read event depends on the expected speed of the patrol vehicle.
Using the rear-right camera as an example, based on the location of the vehicles in the context images from the collected plate reads, the following adjustment is required:
- Context camera A is triggered 3 meters before the plate read (-3.0).
- Context camera B is triggered at the same time as the plate read (0.0).
- Context camera C is triggered 1 meters after the plate read (1.0).
- Context camera D is triggered 2 meters after the plate read (2.0).
- Click Apply.