You can create actions so that operators can write to a data point from the Actions contextual menu in Security Desk.
What you should know
- The Actions menu appears when you right-click a device or entity in the entity browser or on maps.
- Actions in the menu are listed in the order they were created, not alphabetical order.
- Disabled actions are hidden from the Actions menu.
- Actions allow operators to control a device by sending a command to a data point.
- Writing to devices is supported by the BACnet, Modbus, and OPC Client plugins. It is not supported by the SNMP, TCP, HTTP, or MQTT plugins.
- From the Config Tool home page, open the Plugins task.
- Select a device or entity from the entity browser and click the Properties tab.
- In the Actions section, click Add an action ().
Enter the following in the Add an action dialog box:
- Enter a name for the action.
- Data point
- The data point that the action applies to.
- Write value
- The value that you want written to the data point.
- Click Add.
The action is displayed in the Actions section, and in the context menu that appears when you right-click a device or entity in the entity browser and on maps.
If you have a BACnet temperature controller in a room and have added a data point for Target Temperature, you can create an action with the ideal room temperature as the write value. If you see that the room is too hot or too cold, you can right-click the temperature controller in the entity browser, select the action that you created, and the room will go back to its ideal temperature.
Create rules for the devices or entities.