An RSA zone defines the boundaries of a restricted area. In Security Center, an RSA zone is shown as a colored shape or outline on a map. The color indicates if the zone is armed, disarmed, or in alert. When a tracking system reports an intrusion, the RSA Surveillance plugin generates an event if the intrusion occurs in an armed RSA zone.
RSA zone types
- A horizontal RSA zone is represented as a colored shape on a georeferenced Security Center map.
- A vertical RSA zone is represented as a colored shape on an image map to add context to the location of detected intrusions.
- Vertical RSA zones are only used with tracking systems that support vertical mode.
- Coverage is an RSA zone attribute. An RSA coverage zone is a horizontal RSA zone that cannot
be disarmed. When targets are detected in a coverage zone, all the same events are
generated in the Monitoring task, but no event notification bubbles
are displayed on the map. Only the outline of the coverage zone is represented on the
You can create these zones to monitor lower priority areas, for example, the areas surrounding your main RSA zones, where you do not have full jurisdiction, but still want to investigate for target activity.
The outline uses the same colors defined for the different RSA zone states. By default, coverage zone outlines are green when no targets are detected in the zone, and turn red when a target is detected.
- Coverage zones are not listed in the RSA intrusions
panel, but the targets detected in the coverage zones are.NOTE: Because coverage zones cannot be disarmed, the only way to avoid seeing targets in those zones on the map is to set the zones to maintenance mode.
RSA zone statesRSA zones behave differently depending on what state they are in. The color of the RSA zone indicates its state. RSA zones can be in the following states:
- Intrusions cannot be detected in a disarmed RSA zone. By default, disarmed RSA zones are gray on a map.
- When an intrusion is detected in an armed RSA zone, the zone changes to the color of the Alert state. By default, an armed RSA zone is green on a map.
- The RSA zone is in alert when an intrusion is detected, and remains in alert until all targets in the RSA zone are acknowledged. As long as the RSA zone is in alert, it is also considered armed. If you disarm the RSA zone while it is in alert, it only disarms after all targets are acknowledged. By default, an RSA zone in alert is red on a map.
Maintenance mode for RSA zones
You can set an RSA zone to maintenance mode when you want to test that target creations are properly triggered for the zone. When the RSA zone is in maintenance mode, the Target created, Target detected, and Target acknowledged events are not triggered in the RSA events task, but targets are seen in the RSA investigation task.