You can upgrade the firmware of one or more access control units and their connected interface modules directly from Config Tool.
Before you begin
- If the units are powered by Power over Ethernet (PoE), they should include a battery backup in case of a power failure during the upgrade process.
- Download a supported firmware version for the unit from GTAP.NOTE: For HID EVO firmware download links, see KBA01134 on the Genetec™ TechDoc Hub.
- For HID EVO units, ensure that the admin password is set in Config Tool under the unit's properties.
What you should know
- You can upgrade the following devices from Config
- Synergis™ Cloud Link
- Synergis™ Master
Supported upgrade path: 2.x → 10.0 → any later version
- Mercury EP (when connected to a Synergis™ Cloud Link or Synergis™ Master Controller running Synergis™ Softwire 10.4 or later.)
- Axis A1001 (when connected to a Synergis™ Cloud Link or Synergis™ Master Controller running Synergis™ Softwire 10.4 or later.)
- Assa Abloy IP locks (when connected to a Synergis™ Cloud Link or Synergis™ Master Controller running Synergis™ Softwire 10.5 or later.)
- To upgrade HID EVO units from an earlier firmware version (188.8.131.523 or 184.108.40.2065
for Edge EVO, and 220.127.116.112 or 18.104.22.1683 for VertX EVO) to the recommended firmware
version, specific upgrade paths must be followed:
- HID Edge EVO: (EH400, EH400-K)
Supported upgrade path: 22.214.171.1243 or 126.96.36.1995 → 188.8.131.521 → any later version
- HID Vertx EVO: (V1000, V2000)
Supported upgrade path: 184.108.40.2062 or 220.127.116.113 → 18.104.22.1681 → any later versionCAUTION:Upgrading directly from the earlier firmware to the recommended firmware will cause irreparable damage to your unit. Moreover, you cannot downgrade the firmware after it has been upgraded to 22.214.171.1241 on Edge EVO or to 126.96.36.1991 on VertX EVO.
- HID Edge EVO: (EH400, EH400-K)
- Individual units can also be upgraded in the Access control task in Config Tool from the unit's Identity tab in the Roles and units view.
- The system can upgrade up to ten units concurrently. If more than ten units are selected for upgrade, additional units are queued.
- You cannot cancel an upgrade that is in progress. You can only cancel an upgrade if the unit's upgrade status in the Hardware inventory report is scheduled.
- Doors assigned to the access control unit being upgraded do not function during a firmware upgrade.
- In Config Tool, generate a Hardware inventory report for the units you want to upgrade.
Select the units that you want to upgrade.
The Proposed field displays the recommended firmware version. If the firmware version is the same as the proposed version, it will display Up to date.NOTE: If you select multiple units to upgrade, all of the selected units must be of the same product type.
Click Upgrade firmware ().
NOTE: If the Upgrade firmware button does not appear, make sure that you have the required user privileges (requires the Initiate access control unit firmware upgrade privilege and the Unit discovery tool privilege), and make sure that all of the selected units are of the same product type.
- In the file browser, select the firmware file that you downloaded from GTAP, and click Open.
To upgrade the firmware of interface modules connected to the controller, select Upgrade the firmware of connected interface modules.
NOTE: It is recommended that you select this setting when upgrading HID Edge EVO or HID VertX EVO V2000 controllers. This setting is optional for VertX EVO V1000 (up to 3 minutes per interface), Synergis™ Cloud Link, and Synergis™ Master Controller units.
To delay the upgrade, click Advanced, select Delay upgrade until, and define the upgrade date and time.
The system upgrades the access control units' firmware and the units restart.
Watch this video to learn more. Click the Captions icon (CC) to turn on video captions in one of the available languages. If using Internet Explorer, the video might not display. To fix this, open the Compatibility View Settings and clear Display intranet sites in Compatibility View.
After you finish
- When the units come back online, generate another Hardware
inventory report in Config
Tool and confirm the firmware version
displayed for the units.NOTE: For HID EVO units, if Upgrade the firmware of connected interface modules was selected, the unit stays offline until the interface module firmware upgrade is completed.
- Verify that all doors controlled by the upgraded units are operating properly.