To monitor and report on motion detected in a camera image, you must configure motion detection for the video unit.
Before you begin
What you should know
When you define motion detection zones in Security Center, the image keeps the orientation sent from the camera, and therefore might be viewed upside down or at a 90 degree angle.
To learn more about configuring advanced motion detection, watch our GTAP Webinar. For pre-configuration instructions or any additional configuration steps required to enable motion detection in Security Center for specific video units, see the Security Center Video Unit Configuration Guide.
- From the Config Tool home page, open the Video task.
- Select the camera to configure, and click the Motion detection tab.
- Turn the Motion detection option to ON.
- From the Detection is done on option, select whether motion detection is performed by the Archiver or the video unit.
In Sensitivity option, select how much of a difference must be
detected in a block between two consecutive frames before it is highlighted as a
A plain image, such as viewing an empty wall, is more prone to generate noise than an image containing a lot of detail.Tip: First set a high value, and then slowly lower it until you are only receiving a few false motion reads in the image.
You can also calibrate the sensitivity automatically.
- In the Consecutive frame hits option, select how many frames in a row the Motion on threshold must be reached to generate a positive motion hit.
- Define the motion detection zones.
Set the motion detection criteria for each motion zone as follows:
If these values are too low, motion will be detected too often. If these values are too close together, you might receive many consecutive Motion on and Motion off events.
- Motion on threshold
- Indicates the minimum number of motion blocks that must be detected before the motion is significant enough to be reported. Together with the Consecutive frame hits, a positive motion detection is made.
- Motion off threshold
- The end of motion is detected when the number of motion blocks drops below the Motion off threshold for at least 5 seconds.
- Select the event types you want to generate when motion is detected for each motion zone.