You can move a role to another server without installing any additional software, for example, if the server that the role is installed on is slow or has limited disk space.
Make sure you have another server configured and ready to accept a new role.
Before you begin
Moving a role to another server might cause a short pause in the role’s operations.
What you should know
NOTE: This procedure does not apply to Archiver roles. For moving Archiver roles, see Moving the Archiver role to another server.
- From the Config Tool home page, open the System task, and click the Roles view.
- Select the role you want to modify, and then click the Resources tab.
If the role requires a database, do one of the following:
- If the database resides on a third computer, you have nothing to change.
- If the database is empty, you can create it anywhere you want.
- If the database contains data and is residing on the current server, move the database to the new server or to a third computer.
Under the Servers list, click Add an item
A dialog box appears with all available servers on your system.
- Select the substitute server and click Add.
- Select the current server in the Servers list and click Delete ().
- Click Apply.