If you have a large number of video units in your system, you can update their passwords in batches from the Hardware inventory task.
Back up the Unit Assistant role database. It is used to store the last five password change requests of all units.
Before you begin
Changing a unit password causes a short recording interruption because the Archiver must disconnect and reconnect to the unit. Therefore, choose a time of day that least disrupts your operations to perform this task.
What you should know
- You need the Update video unit password privilege to perform this operation.
- Only certain models of video units
support the password update feature from Config
Tool. For the list
of manufacturers that support this feature, see Manufacturers that support password update.
You might have to upgrade the unit firmware for this feature to work.
- Always test this feature on a few units before applying it to a large batch of units of the same brand and model.
- From the Config Tool home page, open the Hardware inventory task.
Set up the query filters for your report.
Choose one or more of the following filters:
- Select individual units or roles to investigate. Selecting a role is equivalent to selecting all units managed by that role.
- Custom fields
- Restrict the search to a predefined custom field for the entity. This filter only appears if custom fields are defined for the entity, and if the custom field was made visible to you when it was created or last configured.
Click Generate report.
The selected units are listed in the report pane.
- Ensure that the units whose password you want to update are online.
Select the units you want to update and click Update password
The system automatically generates a strong password for each selected unit and sends a password change request to each.
Confirm that the passwords have actually been updated by refreshing the report.
Wait a minute and click Generate report. A unit password has been updated if its Last password update column indicates the current time. You can also verify the password by clicking in the Password column.
- Export the new unit passwords and keep them in a safe place.