Before you can monitor vehicles in Security Center, you must add AVL unit entities to the Fleet Monitoring plugin role.
Before you begin
- Download and install the Security Center Fleet Monitoring and Security Center Vehicle Monitoring plugins.
- Add federated vehicle units to the system.
- Configure a default GIS map in Plan Manager.
- Add a GPS unit and configure a map area for this device.
An AVL unit is an entity that provides business logic for a GPS unit and is typically installed at the head end. It is associated with a GPS unit and provides the ability to view the location of the vehicle on a map, detect entry and exit of the vehicle from areas of interest, detect when the vehicle is online or offline, and associate cameras with the vehicle.
What you should know
- From the Config Tool home page, open the Area view task.
Click Add an entity, select AVL
unit, and then enter an entity
Tip: For better search indexing, it is a best practice to include the vehicle type and identification number in the entity name.
Click the Properties tab.
- If you want to associate the AVL unit with a GPS unit and area, select the GPS unit and Area for this device by clicking .
- Optional: If you want to associate the AVL unit with an Instrumented area, click .
- Define speed thresholds.
- Define the tail history for the AVL unit.
(Optional) Click the Data offload tab, and override
default plugin options for the AVL unit.
NOTE: It is recommended to set the Destination archiver at the AVL unit level.
- Click Apply.