Camera manufacturers frequently upgrade their products and fix security vulnerabilities within new firmware. So, it is best practice to upgrade video units with the latest firmware certified by Genetec Inc.
Before you begin
- If Genetec™ Update Service (GUS) is running, the status
of the firmware upgrade is indicated in the unit's Identity page
and in the Proposed firmware description column of the Hardware inventory report:
- Up to date
- No firmware upgrade is necessary.
- The firmware upgrade is not urgent.
- The firmware upgrade is recommended.
- Security vulnerability
- The firmware upgrade fixes a security vulnerability issue and is highly recommended.
- Download the recommended firmware from the manufacturer's website. If GUS is not
running, you can find the recommended firmware for your unit from our Supported Device List.NOTE: For certain video unit models, GUS can download for you the recommended firmware so you don't have to do it yourself. When the download option is available, the recommended firmware version is indicated in the Upgrade firmware dialog box. The downloaded firmwares are kept in a central storage managed by GUS, called the Firmware Vault, for seven days.
- Take note of the unit’s configuration settings. For some manufacturers, the unit is reset to its default settings after the firmware upgrade.
What you should know
- From the Config Tool home page, open the Video task.
- Select the video unit to upgrade, and click the Identity tab.
Click Upgrade ().
In the Upgrade firmware dialog box that opens, do one of the
A message is displayed in the notification tray telling you that the firmware upgrade has started.
- If the recommended firmware is shown under the label Upgrade
to, it means that GUS can download the firmware for you. Click
Upgrade to start the upgrade.
- If the Select file button is displayed instead, click
that button and browse to the firmware file you downloaded yourself, and click .
When the firmware upgrade completes, the unit restarts.
- If the recommended firmware is shown under the label Upgrade to, it means that GUS can download the firmware for you. Click Upgrade to start the upgrade.