The protocols used to communicate with readers must be secured because the communication with a reader can be listened to and manipulated by an attacker.
Some communication protocols are more secure than others. Follow the recommendations to ensure your reader connections are secure:
What you should know
- Avoid using the Wiegand protocol
- Use the OSDP v2 protocol with the secure channel mode enabled
NOTE: The reader must be online for the connection settings to be taken into account in the security score.
- From the Config Tool home page, open the Access control task, and click the Roles and units view.
- From the entity browser, select an access control unit, and click the Hardware tab.
Click the tabs for your integrations, and change the reader settings follow the
recommendations, as required:
- Reader type
- The connection is not secure if the reader is Wiegand or Clock and data.
- For OSDP readers, the connection is not secure if the Reader type is set to Raw card reader and the Connection settings are set to either Unencrypted or Encrypted with a Default key.
- Click Apply.