If you need to upgrade your Security Center system from an earlier version to 5.7, you must go through a series of preparatory steps.
Before you begin
- Read the Security CenterRelease Notes for any known issues, limitations, and other information about the release.
- Read Backward compatibility requirements for Security Center.
- Make sure you have the following information:
- The service logon username and password for all your servers.
- The name of the database server used to manage the Directory database.
What you should know
- Starting with Security
Center 5.6 GA, there
is a new license option called Number of restricted cameras. Some
devices have been designated as having a higher cyber risk factor. If you
have restricted cameras on your system, after you upgrade to Security
5.7, these video units stop working and the
Archiver goes into a warning state until you purchase a restricted license
for each camera, in addition to their normal camera license.
To view a list of manufacturers that require a restricted license, use the Restricted License Type filter on the Supported Devices List page.
- Different versions of Security Center Client can coexist on the same machine, but different versions of Security Center Server cannot. Not all current settings are kept if you uninstall your current software version before installing the new one.
- If the Active Directory role is not on the same domain as the Active Directory it is synchronizing with, you must set up a domain trust relationship. For more information on setting up domain trust relationships, see your Microsoft documentation.
- Close all applications related to Microsoft Management Console (MMC), such as Services, Event Viewer, and so on, because they might lock the Security Center services and prevent them from being updated.
If you have restricted cameras on your system, do one of the following:
- If you are covered by Genetec™ Advantage, contact our Customer Service to add restricted cameras to your software license at no extra cost.
- If you are not covered by Genetec™ Advantage, contact your sales representative to purchase an additional license for your restricted camera connections. You also need to sign a waiver.
If you are running Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2,
you must install Microsoft hotfix KB2588507.
NOTE: This hotfix is not required for SV appliances.
- If you are running a version of Windows prior to Windows 10, you must install Microsoft hotfix KB2919355, followed by Microsoft hotfix KB2999226.
If you are running Microsoft SQL Server 2005, install a more recent version of
the database server.
Security Center 5.7 is not compatible with Microsoft SQL Server 2005. (see the software requirements for a list of compatible versions). For more information on how to upgrade your SQL Server, refer to your Microsoft documentation.
If you have an Active Directory role in your current system, make sure that the
Windows user configured to connect to the Windows Active Directory has Read
access to the accountExpires attribute.
Starting from Security Center 5.2 SR6, a new standard Windows Active Directory attribute (accountExpires) is used by the Active Directory role to import users and cardholders to Security Center. The new attribute sets an expiration date for imported cardholders in Security Center, and changes the status of imported users to inactive after the specified date.CAUTION:If the Windows user does not have Read access to the accountExpires attribute, all cardholders and credentials previously imported from the Windows Active Directory are deleted the next time you synchronize Security Center with your Windows Active Directory after the upgrade.