Security Center 5.8 GA is backward compatible with many Security Center components from the three previous versions.
IMPORTANT: Security Center 5.8 is backward compatible with the three previous versions. A server or workstation that is three versions behind can connect to the 5.8 Directory, but one that is four versions behind cannot. To retain backward compatibility when upgrading your system in stages, no part of Security Center can be more than three versions apart. For systems that are three to six versions behind, use a two-step upgrade process that maintains backward compatibility.
The requirements for Security Center backward compatibility are as follows:
- Upgrading to the latest version
- When upgrading, you must always upgrade the main server hosting the Directory role and Config Tool. Always upgrade each expansion server hosting a role type that is not backward compatible.
- Using new features
- To use the new features introduced in version 5.8 GA, upgrade your Security Center servers.
- Role assigned to multiple servers
- If a role is assigned to multiple servers, such as in a failover configuration, all of its servers must be running the same version of Security Center.
- Directory assigned to multiple servers
- All Directory servers must use the exact same software version and service release. For example, if you upgrade to Security Center 5.8 GA, you must upgrade all Directory servers to 5.8 GA.
- SQL Server
- Because Security Center 5.8 is not compatible with Microsoft SQL Server 2005, you must install a more recent version of the database server (see the software requirements for a list of compatible versions). For more information on how to upgrade your SQL Server, refer to your Microsoft documentation.
IMPORTANT: Because adding backward compatible connections slows down the performance of the Directory, it is recommended only as a temporary solution before you are able to upgrade all servers and workstations.
Backward compatibility between Security Center roles
Each new version of Security Center includes new role features that might not be compatible with earlier versions. The Security Center roles that are backward compatible are outlined in the following table.
IMPORTANT: All expansion servers hosting a role that is not backward compatible must be upgraded to the same version as the main server hosting the Directory.
Not all roles and tasks can run in backward compatibility mode. The following tables show which 5.8 roles and tasks are backward compatible.
|5.8 role||Backward compatible with 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7|
|Active Directory||Yes (starting from 5.6)|
|Active Directory Federation Services||No|
|Camera Integrity Monitor (hidden)||No (introduced in 5.8)|
|Global Cardholder Synchronizer (GCS)||No|
|Media Gateway||No (renamed from RTSP Media Router in 5.5 SR1)|
|Mobile Server||No (introduced in 5.8)|
|Plugin (all instances)||No|
|Point of Sale||No|
|Privacy Protector™ (hidden)||Yes (introduced in 5.7 SR1)|
|Reverse Tunnel||No (introduced in 5.7 SR2)|
|Reverse Tunnel Server||No (introduced in 5.7 SR2)|
|Security Center Federation™||Yes|
|Wearable Camera Manager||No (introduced in 5.7 SR2)|
|Web Server||Yes (introduced in 5.6)|
Backward compatibility with Security Center tasks
The Security Center 5.8 tasks that are backward compatible with Security Desk 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 are summarized in the following table.
|Task category||Task type||Backward compatible with Security Desk 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7|
|Operation||Monitoring (live and playback video)||Yes|
|Dashboards||No (introduced in 5.8)|
|Hotlist and permit editor||Yes|
|Alarm management||Alarm monitoring||Yes|
|Investigation > Access control||Area activities||Yes|
|Time and attendance||Yes|
|Credential request history||Yes|
|Investigation > Asset management||Asset activities||No|
|Investigation > Intrusion detection||Intrusion detection area activities||Yes|
|Security video analytics||Yes (introduced in 5.7 SR2, renamed from KiwiVision intrusion detector in 5.7 SR5)|
|Investigation > LPR||Hits||Yes|
|Daily usage per Patroller||Yes|
|Logons per Patroller||Yes|
|Reads/hits per day||Yes|
|Reads/hits per zone||Yes|
|Parking sessions||Yes (introduced in 5.6)|
|Parking zone activities||Yes (introduced in 5.6)|
|Investigation > Video||Archives||Yes|
|Video file explorer||Yes|
|Maintenance > Access control||Access control health history||Yes|
|Access control unit events||Yes|
|Cardholder access rights||Yes|
|Access rule configuration||Yes|
|Maintenance > Intrusion detection||Intrusion detection unit events||Yes|
|Maintenance > Video||Camera configuration||Yes|
|Archiver statistics||No (introduced in 5.8)|
|Archive storage details||Yes|
|Wearable camera evidence||No (introduced in 5.8)|