To accommodate seasonal cardholders, such as students who are enrolled during a semester, or permanent cardholders who need short term access to a restricted area, you can create and assign temporary access rules.
A temporary access rule is an access rule that has an activation and an expiration time. Temporary access rules are suited for situations where permanent cardholders need to have temporary or seasonal access to restricted areas. These access rules are automatically deleted seven days after they expire to avoid cluttering the system.
What you should know
NOTE: From the Cardholder management task, you can only assign a temporary access rule to one cardholder at a time. To assign a temporary access rule to multiple cardholders or cardholder groups, you must update the access rule properties from Config Tool.
- In the Cardholder management task, select a cardholder, and then click Modify ().
Click the Access rules ()
tab > Add ().
A dialog box listing the access rules that are not yet assigned to this cardholder opens.
Do one of the following:
- Select an existing temporary access rule () and click Add.
- Click Temporary access rule ().
The temporary access rule creation wizard opens.
- In the Basic information page, enter the rule name and description, then click Next.
In the Access rule information page, do one of the
- Click Use an existing access rule as template, then select
from the Access rule drop-down list, the access rule you want to
use as template.
The schedule and the associated entities will be copied to your temporary access rule.
- Click Specify custom access parameters, and specify the following:
- Access to
- Expand the area view and select the entities you want to grant access to.
- Activation date and time, or when the rule schedule starts to apply.
- Expiration date and time, or when the rule schedule stops to apply.
- Choose when this access rule is active.
- Click Use an existing access rule as template, then select from the Access rule drop-down list, the access rule you want to use as template.
.A temporary access rule () is created and assigned to your cardholder.
- Click Save.
(Optional) Assign the temporary access rule you created to other cardholders.