You can configure Axis cameras to use the AXIS Video Motion Detection (VMD) 3.x application for on-unit motion detection. AXIS VMD is easier to configure and more reliable than the legacy unit motion detection software.
AXIS VMD 3.x is an ACAP (Axis Camera Application Platform) application that comes pre-installed with firmware version 5.80 or later. For earlier firmware versions, you must install the VMD application through the unit's web page.
Before you begin
Add the camera to Security
If your unit is already part of the Security Center system, restart the unit for your changes to take effect.
- Select the camera you are configuring from the Video task in Config Tool.
- Click the Motion detection tab.
- Set Motion Detection to ON, and Detection is done on to Unit.
- Select Use camera application motion detection to use the AXIS VMD 3.x.
Configure the following motion detection settings:
By default, the setting values that were configured on the unit are used.
- Ignore short-lived objects
- Select this option to ignore objects that only appear in the video image for a short period of time, such as lights from a passing car. Specify the number of seconds that the object must be in the video image for motion to be detected.
- Ignore swaying objects
- Select this option to ignore objects that only move a short distance in the video image, such as moving tree branches or flags. Specify the percentage of the width and height of the image in which there must be movement, for motion to be detected.
- Ignore small objects
- Select this option to ignore small objects in the video image. Specify the percentage of the width and height of the image that an object must take up for motion to be detected.
- Configure the motion zones from the Config Tool
- Select this option to configure the motion zones from Config
Tool instead of using the motion zones
that were configured on the unit.NOTE: The motion zone configuration on the unit can only be used if the zone is rectangular. Otherwise, the motion zone must be configured from Config Tool.
- Under Motion on and Motion off, click Event to select the event to be triggered in each case.
- Click Apply.