You can configure the analytics performed by the Sharp, such as which plates the Sharp will read, how fast the vehicles will be moving, and whether the Sharp should attempt to read the plate’s origin in addition to the plate number.
- Log on to the Sharp Portal.
- Click the Configuration page.
- Under Analytics, from the Context drop-down list, select which license plates the Sharp will read (Quebec, Oregon, and so on).
From the Read strategy drop-down list, select how fast the
cars that the Sharp reads will be
- Fast moving vehicle
- Applicable for installations where vehicles travel at moderate to high speeds. For example, use this read strategy for fixed Sharps overlooking a highway, or for mobile law enforcement installations where vehicles might be traveling at high speeds in opposite directions.
- Slow moving vehicle
- Applicable for use in typical mobile city law enforcement, mobile parking enforcement, and for monitoring parking lot entrances.
- Gate control
- Applicable for installations where vehicles must come to a stop when their plates are captured. For example, use this read strategy for fixed Sharps that are monitoring a gated parking lot or toll booth.
If you want the Sharp to attempt to read
the license plate origin (issuing state, province, or country), select the
Read plate state option.
NOTE: Plate state recognition might not be possible for all plates.
- If you want the Sharp to attempt to read the vehicle’s make from the brand or logo (Honda, Toyota, and so on), select the Read vehicle make option.
(Fixed Sharps only) If you want the Sharp
to attempt to estimate a vehicle’s speed based on multiple captures of the license
plate, select the Estimate vehicle speed option.
The longer a vehicle is in the Sharp’s field of view, the more accurate the estimate will be. Note the following:
- Enabling this option automatically calibrates the Sharp for speed estimation, so you must enable it only after the Sharp has been properly installed and aligned.
- If you move or re-position the Sharp after the initial installation, you must click Calibrate to re-calibrate the Sharp.
- You can configure Genetec Patroller™ to display the speed with all reads and hits, and you can add the vehicle speed as an annotation field in Security Center in order to query for it in Security Desk reports.
- Vehicle speed estimation may not be possible in all situations.
If you want the Sharp to indicate the
accuracy of each license plate read, select the Give a confidence score
for reads option.
This assigns a numerical value (from 0 to 100) for each read, showing how confident the Sharp is in the accuracy of the read. You can configure Genetec Patroller™ to display the score with all reads and hits, and you can add the scores as an annotation field in Security Center in order to query for it in Security Desk reports.
- (Fixed Sharps only) Use the Optimize for fixed installation option to create a smart region of interest that will decrease false positives.
- Click Save.