Storing cryptographic keys on MIFARE Secure Access Module (SAM) AV2 cards instead of the Synergis™ key store increases security because the keys cannot be retrieved. The SAM cards must be unlocked to interact with Synergis™ Softwire for cryptographic operations.
Before you begin
- Configure a Synergis™ Cloud Link equipped with an optional expansion module. For more information, see the SY-CLOUDLINK-312 Quick Start Guide.
- Configure SAM cards using a SAM production tool like ISLOG SAM Manager, and install up
to three cards. For more
information on SAM Manager, see Configuring MIFARE SAM AV2 cards.NOTE: If you install more than one SAM card, the cards must have the same keys. Having multiple SAM cards installed will allow for faster card reads and access decisions on units with heavy access control activity.
What you should know
- Log on to the Synergis™ unit.
- Click .
- At the top of the key list, click
In the Create new version dialog box, do the following:
- Select SAM LockUnlock.
- In the Components field, enter the LockUnlock keys that you configured in the SAM production tool, and click Add.
- Click OK.
- In the SAM card unlock configuration section, enter the KeyEntry number and key version of the LockUnlock key stored on the SAM card.
In the SAM card status section, verify that the SAM cards were
inserted and configured correctly.
You can have up to three SAM cards installed. Each expansion slot can have one of the following statuses:
- A SAM card is inserted and the LockUnlock key, key number, and version number are valid.
- SAM card unlock failed
- A SAM card is inserted, but the LockUnlock key, key number, or version number do not match those on the card.
- No SAM card inserted
- There is no SAM card in the expansion slot.