You can change the default signature and encipherment keys used for encrypted and signed communication with the STid readers.
Change the STid readers' factory-installed Signature and Encipherment keys for better security.
Before you begin
Changing the default signature and encipherment keys involves changing the values for the ReaderKs and ReaderKc RS-485 keys on the reader and on the Synergis™ key store page in the Synergis™ Appliance Portal. The STid reader also offers the option of storing the keys in one of its onboard key indexes.
What you should know
SSCP V2 readers only use the ReaderKc key.
NOTE: When using indexed keys, if a STid reader is tampered with, the door goes offline in Config Tool, then the reader's LED flashes orange. In that case, present the SKB card to load the RS-485 keys into the reader. When the keys are loaded, the reader comes back online (the LED is red).
- Log on to the Synergis unit.
- Click .
- Apply the new encryption values, ReaderKc for the encipherment key and ReaderKs for the signature key.
Configure the keys:
- Click STid. , and then select
- Click Edit () on the reader's channel.
- If the ReaderKc and ReaderKs keys were configured on the reader, leave the Use indexed encryption key on all readers and Use indexed signature key on all readers check boxes cleared. If the reader uses indexed signature and encipherment keys, select the Use indexed encryption key on all readers and Use indexed signature key on all readers check boxes, and then enter the proper values for the key indexes.
- For readers using indexed keys, present the SKB card to load the RS-485 keys into the reader.