To grant cardholders or visitors access to secured areas, you must assign them credentials.
What you should know
Do one of the following:
- For cardholders, open the Cardholder management task, select a cardholder, and then click Modify ().
- For visitors, open the Visitor management task, select a visitor, and then click Modify ().
- In the Credential section, click Add a credential ().
Select one of the following options:
- Automatic entry
- Present the card at a reader.
- Manual entry
- Manually enter the card data. Use this method when you do not have a card reader near you.
- Existing credential
- Select a pre-enrolled, unassigned credential.
- Create a PIN credential.
- License plate
- Enter a cardholder's license plate number. Use this method if a Sharp camera is being used to trigger a vehicle access barrier. In this case, the cardholder's vehicle license plate can be used as a credential.
- Request card
- Request a credential card for the cardholder or visitor. Use this method if you do not have a printer on site.
- Paper credential (print)
- Print a badge (name tag or photo ID card) without assigning a credential. The paper credential cannot be used to open doors. It is only used to visually identify the cardholder or visitor.
If you select Automatic entry, you must then select a reader
(USB reader or a door) and present the card at the reader.
If you have a smart card encoding reader set up, set the option Encode before enrollment to OFF to read a pre-encoded card.
When the reader LED turns green (ready to read), place the smart card on the reader. The reader LED turns yellow and then green with a short beep before turning off.
If you want to generate and encode on your card a random 128-bit DESFire EV1 credential before enrolling it, set the option Encode before enrollment to ON.
When the reader LED turns red (ready to encode), place the smart card on the reader for approximately 2 seconds. The reader LED turns yellow and then green with a short beep before turning off. If you hear a long beep and the LED stays red, try again.
The dialog box closes automatically after an eligible card is presented. If the card has not been enrolled, it is enrolled automatically. If the card was already assigned to someone, it is rejected.
If you select Manual entry, you must then select a card
format, enter the required data fields, and click OK.
CAUTION:Enter your card data carefully, because the system cannot validate whether the data you entered correspond to a physical card or not.If the card has not been enrolled, it is enrolled automatically. If the card was already assigned to someone, it is rejected.
- If you select Existing credential, a dialog box listing all existing but unassigned credentials in the system appears. Select an unassigned credential from the list, and click OK.
If you select PIN, you must then do the following:
Enter the PIN as a numerical value.
NOTE: Do not exceed the number of digits accepted by your readers. A typical PIN length is five digits. But certain models accept up to 15 digits.
- Click OK.
- Enter the PIN as a numerical value.
If you select License plate, you must then do the
Enter the license plate number.
NOTE: You do not need to enter spaces that appear in the license plate number. The system treats "ABC123" and "ABC 123" as the same plate.
- Click OK.
- Enter the license plate number.
After the credential is assigned, it appears in the Credential section.
The credential name and status are displayed. Active indicates the credential is assigned.NOTE: If the credential is a PIN, the keypad icon is displayed. If the credential is a license plate, a license plate icon is displayed. If the credential is a card, a default badge template is assigned, and a print preview of the badge is displayed instead of the credential icon.
(Optional) If the credential is a card, select a different badge template as
- In the Credential section, click the badge image.
Select a badge template, and then click OK.
Badge templates are created in Config Tool.A print preview of the badge appears, with data corresponding to the current cardholder or visitor and their credential.
You must save all your changes before you can print the badge.
- To print the badge, click Print badge next to the badge preview.