[KBA-00954] PTZ connected to an Axis encoder stops working in Omnicast™
This article explains why a PTZ unit connected to an Axis encoder’s serial port will stop working after time in Omnicast™.
Applies to: Omnicast™ 4.6 - 4.8
After time, a PTZ unit connected to an Axis encoder's serial port stops working. This issue is more apparent when the connection between the server and the unit is limited, resulting in frequent disconnections.
When the connection between the Archiver server and the Axis unit is interrupted, connections on the serial port of the unit might not be closed properly. After a few disconnections, new connections to the serial port cannot be established, causing the PTZ to stop working.
Restart the unit. You can also configure a timeout on the serial port. When the timeout is configured, the unit automatically closes any connections on the serial port after the timeout period has expired if there is no activity. This prevent connections on the serial port from accumulating.
- Apply the following hotfix for your Omnicast™ version:
- Omnicast™ 4.6 GA (HF784)
- Omnicast™ 4.6 SR1 (HF899
- Omnicast™ 4.7 HIP2 (HF1174)
- Omnicast™ 4.8 GA and up (no hotfix required)
- Do the following on all your Omnicast™ Archivers:
- Open Windows Services (Start > Run > services.msc)
- Stop the Genetec™ Omnicast™ Archiver service.
- Open the Windows Registry Editor and navigate to the
- 32-bit computer: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Genetec\OmnicastArchiver4.x\Extensions
- 64-bit computer: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Genetec\OmnicastArchiver4.x\Extensions
- In the Extensions folder, find and select the key where the ExtensionName DWORD has a value of Axis and the ExtensionType DWORD has a value of 4 .
- In the window on the right, right-click and select .
- Name the new value PushSerialTimeout and set the data value to 0.
- Start the Genetec™ Omnicast™ Archiver service.
- Configure the timeout on the serial port on the unit web page, as follows:
- Open the unit web page.
- Click .
- Set the Timeout field to a value (for example, 120 seconds).
- Click Save.