[KBA-00657] Configuring Video Trickling with Axis video units in Omnicast™
This article explains how to configure continuous recording and manage Video Trickling on Axis units in Omnicast™.
- Make sure your unit is using a firmware version later than 5.20.
- To improve reliability when trickling with an Axis unit:
- H.264 should be used instead of MJPEG.
- It is recommended to use an SDHC memory card or an SD card with a speed class of four or higher. Contact the unit manufacturer for a list of recommended SD cards.
- Use a lower frame rate (FPS) and/or quality.
- Do not use the Continuous Recording setting on these units. Trickling problems can occur. We recommend using scheduled events instead to configure edge recording on the Axis unit.
- We recommend using shorter video sequences, because they are better for trickling from the unit to the Archiver.
Redundant archiving is not supported when trickling with Axis units.
Configuring Settings on the Axis unit:
- Launch the Axis unit’s web interface
- Navigate to Setup / Events / Event Types
- Click Add Scheduled Event Type and:
- Under Activation Time, select Recurrence pattern and check each day
- Set Start Time to 00:00 and Duration to 4:00
- Under When
Activated, check Save
-Configure the frame rate in the Image frequency field -Select local storage as the upload type -Select SD Card as the disk to record to -Use the H.264 video format
- Click on OK to save
- Repeat Step 3 until 24 hours are covered. For the Start
time and Duration fields, use the following:
- Start time: 04:00 / Duration: 4:00
- Start time: 08:00 / Duration: 4:00
- Start time: 12:00 / Duration: 4:00
- Start time: 16:00 / Duration: 4:00
- Start time: 20:00 / Duration: 4:00
- The Event Types Summary should appear as follows:
Enabling disk cleanup on the SD Card of an Axis camera:
To prevent the SD card from filling up, this procedure must be followed. otherwise, the SD card will have to be cleaned out manually.
- Open the Windows Registry Editor and navigate to one of the following folders:
- For a 32-bit system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Genetec\Genetec Omnicast4.x
- For a 64-bit system: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Genetec\Genetec Omnicast4.x
- Double-click on the EdgeTransferRemoveRecordingOnUnit value and in the
Edit DWORD Value dialog box, change the Value data to 1
(If it does not exist, then create the DWORD Value).
- Exit the Registry Editor and restart the Omnicast Archiver service.
Configuring Omnicast to use Video Trickling:
- In the Config Tool, check the Record on the edge option on the Recording tab of the camera.
- To configure Trickling options, navigate to the Trickling tab of the
Archiver (for more information regarding Trickling options, please refer to the
Omnicast Administrator's Guide.)