[KBA-79007] Cannot access Axis units using root and pass credentials
This article explains why you are unable to access or add Axis video units in Security Center using the default root and pass credentials.
- You cannot access or configure your new Axis video unit, or add the unit in Security Center using the default root and pass credentials.
- You performed a factory reset on your Axis unit and now you are unable to access it.
Axis has modified its device access policy for video units. On all new Axis units that are shipped from the manufacturer with one of the firmware versions listed in this section or with a later firmware version, the VAPIX and ONVIF interfaces are disabled. The units no longer have a default password for the root user, and you are unable to access or configure the unit until the VAPIX or ONVIF interface is activated.
- Released in September 2019:
- 8.40.3 LTS
- 9.40.1 ACTIVE Track
- Estimated to be released before the end of December 2019:
- 6.50.4 LTS
- Download the Axis Device Manager from https://www.axis.com/en-ca/products/axis-device-manager.
- Open the Device Manager and click Add device from IP
- Type the IP address of the unit and click
If the unit is connected properly, it is discovered and displayed in the device list.
- Select the unit and click Next.
The actions that were greyed out are enabled.
- Click Set password for selected devices.
- Set a New password for your unit and click
You can now add the video unit in Security Center.