Before you enroll the Mercury controller on the Synergis™ unit, you must assign a static IP address to the controller.
Make sure you have the following:
Before you begin
- EP or LP Series Setup and Configuration Guide
- Instruction manual for connecting to the web portal of your Mercury controller and setting up its IP address (and other configurations).
- Static IP address
- Static IP address assigned to the controller by your IT department.
- Physical addresses
- Each interface panel attached to the same RS-485 port of the same Mercury controller must have a unique physical address (configured on a DIP switch).
Best Practice: If you have many Mercury controllers to enroll on the same Synergis™ unit, it is best to enroll them all at the same time. Each controller you add or remove from the Synergis™ unit causes the unit to restart. While the unit restarts, it is offline for about 30 seconds.
Mercury controllers enrolled on the same Synergis™ unit cannot be assigned different partitions in Security Center. If you need to assign the controllers to different partitions, enroll them on different Synergis™ units, and then assign the Synergis™ units to different partitions.
What you should know
NOTE: The steps and instructions tagged with Hardening are optional, but will protect your system against cyberattacks.
On the Mercury controller board, set the DIP switch S1-1 to
This gives you a 5 minute window to log on using factory default settings.
Log on to the Mercury controller through its Configuration Manager
web page. Use the default IP address (192.168.0.251) and credentials
(admin/password). For more information, see the manufacturer’s
- Select Network from the menu, configure the Mercury controller’s IP address, and click Accept.
- Select Host Comm from the menu.
In the Host Communication page, configure the following settings,
and click Accept.
- Communication Address
- Set to 0.IMPORTANT: Not to be confused with the Channel that must be unique when you enroll the Mercury controller on the Synergis™ unit.
- Port Number
- Port number used by the Synergis™ unit to communicate with the Mercury controller (default=3001).
- Authorized IP Address Required
- (Hardening) Select this option, and set Authorized IP address to the IP address of the Synergis™ unit.
- Data Security
- Set to TLS Required.IMPORTANT: This setting is mandatory for Synergis™ Softwire 10.2 and later versions to communicate with Security Center. If TLS is not selected, the Mercury controller stays offline.
Select Users from the menu, and click New
Creating a user account on the Mercury controller saves you the trouble of having to physically access the unit and to set the DIP switch S1-1 to ON the next time you modify the controller configuration.
(Hardening) On the Users page, enter the User
Name and Password, and click
Set the Password Strength to High.
(Hardening) On the Users page, disable Time
The Time Server is not required. Synergis™ Softwire monitors and automatically sets the time on the EP units.
(Hardening) On the Users page, disable SNMP
and Bonjour, and click Submit.
- Select Apply Settings and click Apply Settings, Reboot.
On the Mercury controller board, set the DIP switch S1-1 to OFF
for normal operation.
This prevents the factory default settings from being used to log on to the controller.
- When prompted to proceed, select I understand and wish to proceed, and then click Yes.
Enroll the Mercury controller on the Synergis™ unit.