MIFARE DESFire readers require cryptographic keys to access a card's secured credential. When readers are configured to run in transparent mode, these keys are loaded into the Synergis™ key store or a secure access module (SAM) card.
Before you begin
- The door must be controlled by a Synergis™ unit running Synergis™ Softwire 10.7 GA or later.
- The door must have an STid reader with a part number ending in AA or AD.
NOTE: Transparent STid readers with part numbers ending in BB cannot be used in this scenario. See Supported STid readers in Synergis™ Softwire 10.11 for a list of readers that can be used as transparent readers.
- Under STid , select
- Click Edit () on the reader's interface.
In the reader configuration dialog box, from the Key
location list, select one of the following:
NOTE: The SAM options are only available if your Synergis™ unit has the optional expansion module. For more information, see the Synergis™ Cloud Link Quick Start Guide 3.1.
- Synergis™ key store: The key for decrypting credentials is stored on the Synergis™ unit. This option does not require a SAM card.
- SAM (Software crypto): This is the faster of the SAM options, but requires the SessionDumpKey option to be enabled during the SAM configuration process. For more information, see the documentation that came with your SAM card configuration software.
- SAM (Hardware crypto): This option does not require SessionDumpKey to be enabled during the SAM configuration process.
If you select the Synergis™ key
store option, use the Synergis™
Appliance Portal to access the Synergis™
key store and enter the keys:
The MIFARE DESFire configuration file used for the indexed keys is compatible with both software-transparent and non-transparent STid readers.Limitation: There are two limitations with software transparent readers:
- Select an index.
- Click Create new version, and enter a 32-character hexadecimal key in the text field.
- Click Add.
- Transparent readers currently cannot encode cards.
- Cards with transparent mode enabled take about 100 ms longer to read.