[KBA-01061] Directory Role Continuously Stops and Restarts and "Unable to Take the Database Lock" Error Is Visible in Event Viewer
This article explains why the Directory role might continuously stop and restart while the event viewer displays an "Unable to take the database lock" error.
When the Genetec Server service is set to log in with an account other than “Local System”, the Directory role will stop and restart continuously.
Additionally, the following error appears every few minutes in the Event Viewer:
Event Source: GenetecDirectory.exe
Description: Unable to take the database lock, another Master Directory may be running on this database, restarting Directory service
More InformationTo avoid this issue, the View Server State SQL privilege must be applied to the service account that is launching the Genetec Server service. This procedure is usful when the Genetec Server service account cannot be given system administrator (sysadmin) rights.
To do so:
1. Open Windows Services, locate the Genetec Server service, and identify the user with which it logs on:
2. Launch Microsoft SQL Management Studio
3. Expand the tree and locate the user in question under Security\Logins
4. Right-click the user and select Properties
5. In the Login Properties screen, select Securables and click Search.
6. In the Add Objects screen, select the server you are logged into and click OK. You'll notice the server add itself to the Securables list on the Login Properties screen.
7. In the Permissions list below, check Grant for the View server state permission.
8. Click OK and exit MS SQL Management Studio.
Alternatively, the process can be performed by clicking the New Query button and executing the following command lines:
GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO [DOMAIN\USER]