When your main server is no longer adequate, you can replace it with a new server, activate your Security Center license on the new server, and connect all expansion servers to the new server.
Before you begin
What you should know
- You have is a single Directory system (no Directory failover configuration).
- The Directory database resides on the main server (no remote database access required).
- The SQL Server running on the new server is at the same version or newer than the SQL
Server running on the old server.
This is to ensure that you can restore your old database on the new machine. You can always restore a database backed up on an older version of SQL Server and restore it on a newer version of SQL Server, but the reverse is not necessarily true.
- Your old main server is still running.
- The old and new main servers are on the same network domain.
- Install Security Center on the new machine using the Main server configuration, but do not activate the license.
Contact Genetec™ Customer Services to
reset your Security
Center license so you can
activate it on the new server.
Verify on GTAP (https://gtap.genetec.com) that the Activate license button for your system is enabled.
- Activate your Security Center license on the new server.
- If you have other roles than the Directory that run on your main server and that need their own database, such as the Health Monitor role, back up their databases.
Wait for the scheduled maintenance to start before continuing with the next step.
Starting from the next step, your system will be down until the end of the process.
Back up your Directory database.
- Open Server Admin and connect to your old main server.
At the top of the browser window, click
.This ensures that the database is not being accessed while you are backing it up.
Click Destination folder for your database
backup, and click OK.
, set the Make sure the backup folder can be accessed from your new server.
- Click .
- Click Close.
Restore the Directory database (.bak file) onto the new main server.
- Open Server Admin and connect to your new main server.
- Click Restore now. , select the backup file you want to restore, and click
- Click Close.
- Connect all your expansion servers to the new main server.
Do one of the following:
- Convert the old main server to an expansion server.
- Decommission your old main server.
We recommend that you do this in two stages. For now, disable the Genetec™ Server service on your old server to prevent the service from starting by accident. When the new server is fully operational, uninstall Security Center from the old server.
- Open Config Tool and connect it to the new main server, using your old Admin credentials.
Open the Network view task, and confirm that all your expansion
servers are online ().
You should also see an offline copy () for each server. Do not delete them yet.
- Open the System task, and click the Roles view.
Recreate the Media Router role database.
- Select Media Router from the role list and click Resources.
- Click Create a database ().
- In the window that opens, click .
- For the remaining roles in the list that are in warning (yellow) or trouble (red) state, do the following:
- Open the Network view task, and delete the offline copies of your servers ().