[KBA-01347] Enabling long PIN support on HID units
This article explains how to enable the long PIN (longer than 5 digits) support on HID controllers.
This procedure applies to all HID controllers (legacy and EVO) supported in Security Center.
What you should know
By default, HID controllers only accept PIN numbers up to 5 digit long. You can increase this limit to 8 digits for readers using Card and PIN mode and to 15 digits for readers using Card or PIN mode.
- Log on to the Genetec™ Console of the Access Manager Server (http://<SERVERNAME>/genetec/console).
- In the upper right of the window of the Server Console menu, select Commands.
- Go to the path shown on the screen and open the VertxConfig.gconfig file with Notepad.
- Look for the Length entry and adjust it accordingly (that is, MaximumPinLength="nn" where nn is the maximum PIN length in digits).
- Copy this file to the Security
installation folder on all servers hosting the Access Manager role.
On a 64-bit machine, the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Genetec Security Center 5.x\ConfigurationFiles.
The next time you synchronize a unit (HID controller) with the Access Manager, the unit accepts PIN numbers up to the maximum PIN length. For every PIN credential that is longer than the specified maximum, a warning message is issued during synchronization and the PIN is not synchronized to the unit.
To synchronize a unit:
- Connect to Security Center with Config Tool.
- Open the Access control task and select the Roles and units page.
- Select .