[KBA-00765] How to restrict the UDP port range used by the Omnicast™ Federation
The following article explains how to restrict which UDP ports are used by the Omnicast™ Federation to call cameras.
The Omnicast™ Federation can use Multicast, Unicast UDP or Unicast TCP to receive video from federated sites. The connection type is determined by the federated Gateway (automatic connection test or forced connection type). Most of the time, when the Federation and the federated site are separated by a WAN, the connection type will be set to Unicast UDP.When using Unicast UDP, the default UDP port range is 6000-7000. When calling a camera, the Federation will first request the video on port 6000 and then will keep incrementing for the following cameras (6001, 6002, 6003, etc.). This can cause a problem when the entire port range must be opened on a corporate Firewall. In such a situation, it might be preferable to restrict the number of UDP ports used by the Federation.
The other connection types do not have this problem since they use a single port for transmitting the video: 47806 (UDP) for Multicast and 5002 (TCP) for Unicast TCP.
- On the Federation server, open the Omnicast™ Server Admin.
- Click on Federation and look at the specified UDP port. By default,
the port should be 6000.
The Federation will normally use a range of +1000 ports (e.g. 6000-7000). You must be sure to choose a range that is within 1000 of your UDP port. For example, if using the default port of 6000, you might want to restrict the ports from 6000 to 6100 or from 6500 to 7000. You cannot choose a range that is outside of the 6000-7000 range, such as 6800 to 7200 or 5900 to 6500.
- In Windows, open the Registry Editor.
- Go to the following key:
- 32-bit Windows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Genetec\OmnicastFederation4.x
- 64-bit Windows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Genetec\OmnicastFederation4.x
- Create two DWORD (32) values called:
- Assign a DECIMAL value to each of the keys to restrict the range. For example:
- MinRedirectorPort = 6000
- MaxRedirectorPort = 6100
- Restart the Genetec™ Omnicast™ Federation service.