If your mobile Sharp system includes the navigation option, you need to calibrate the hardware so that the readings are accurate.
What you should know
- The calibration time (approximately 10-15 minutes) can vary based on geographical location, environment, driving style, vehicle repositioning time, proper execution of requested maneuvers, and driver experience with the procedure.
- The procedure requires that you drive straight, backwards, and that you execute several turns. You will also be asked to drive over hills. You need to locate a suitable road, parking lot or large area where you can complete the procedure in a safe way.
- No feedback is given when a maneuver is performed.
- You can perform the maneuvers in any order.
- There is no time limit to complete the maneuvers.
- If required, you can reposition the vehicle prior to each maneuver.
WARNING: For safety reasons, you must carry out calibration of AutoVu™ navigation away from any area with motor vehicle traffic, with the assistance of another individual to identify and avoid any hazards in the selected area. Genetec Inc. WILL IN NO EVENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ANY TRAFFIC ACCIDENT, ARISING OUT OF YOUR FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE FOREGOING INSTRUCTIONS
- From the Equipment page in the Genetec Patroller™ Config Tool, select the Navigation tab.
- From the Calibration window, select if the odometry signal comes from the vehicle’s VSS or from the odometry sensor. Read the warning that appears and click I accept these terms to be able to start the calibration process.
Click Start calibration.
This procedure is designed to be performed with minimal need to touch the screen. The instructions are read out loud and a sound signal indicates when to switch to the next step. It is recommended that you perform this operation with a co-driver and ensure that all necessary safety precautions are taken. The following conditions must be met for the calibration to start:
- The antenna can receive the GNSS signal. If the vehicle is inside a garage, move it to a clear sky area before starting the calibration process.
- The vehicle engine is running and the transmission is in Park.
- The Sharp system is powered up.
Follow the instructions on the screen for a step-by-step description of the calibration
maneuvers. Execute the maneuvers until the window changes to the next step or until
the Calibration completed screen appears. You can abort the procedure
and start over at any time.
The following instructions will appear for a pulse calibration:
The calibration procedure may take time as a large number of samples are required for the wheel sensors to function correctly. Keep driving the vehicle until the calibration completed screen appears.
- Put the vehicle in park
- Stop the vehicle and put the transmission in Park until you hear the sound signal and the next screen appears.
- Put the transmission in reverse
- No need to drive backward. Put the transmission gear in reverse until you hear the sound signal and the next screen appears.
- Put the vehicle in park
- Stop the vehicle and put the transmission in Park until you hear
the sound signal and the next screen appears.
- Drive forward at low speed
- Drive slowly forward until you hear the sound signal and the next screen appear. Make sure that you do not go faster than the indicated speed.
- Drive forward at 30 km/h
- Drive forward at a speed of 30 km/h (20 mph) until you hear the sound signal and the next screen appears. This step can take time. It is important to continue until the step is completed.
- Miscellaneous maneuvers
- Execute the six maneuvers on the screen in any order. There will be no prompt to go to the next one and no sound signal. You can tap an image to zoom in and see it better. Tap again to restore the view. If you have completed the six maneuvers and the sensors are still not calibrated, do all the six maneuvers again, in any order. To save time, you can combine maneuvers. For example, you can drive straight on a small slope, combining two maneuvers into one. Drive until the Calibration completed screen appears.
Click Show sensor details anytime during calibration to view the
status of individual sensors:
- Gyro Z
- Measures the angular rotational velocity, or rotation speed, that determines the orientation of the vehicle.
- Accel X
- Measures the acceleration in the direction of travel (forward, backward)
- Accel Y
- Measures the acceleration perpendicular to the direction of travel (sideways).
- Accel Z
- Measures the acceleration up and down.
- Wheel ticks
- Measures the wheel rotation speed.
Click Close in the Calibration completed screen to
NOTE: If a problem occurs with the navigation system, you can enable verbose logs to help Technical Support understand the situation. Go to the Advanced page in the Traces section and put the Navigation diagnostic logs to verbose. Do not forget to turn it back off as it can take a lot of hard disk space. You can click Abort at any time to cancel the calibration procedure.
The AutoVu navigation is calibrated.
If you change the position of the GNSS antenna or the AutoVu™ base unit, you must modify the layout accordingly and recalibrate the system.